Often the funeral songs are chosen by bereaved friends and relatives but in many cases the person who has died will have let his or her loved ones know their wishes in advance.
Having directed funerals for many years, the team at Mortons has witnessed a huge change in the songs that are sung or played. Hymns are still important but nowadays more people opt for non-religious music.
In recent months we’ve been monitoring the songs chosen for funerals and have compiled a top ten of the most commonly chosen numbers. In no particular order, they are as follows:
- Time to say goodbye – Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman
- Somewhere over the rainbow – Eva Cassidy
- Wind beneath my wings – Bette Midler
- Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
- My way – Frank Sinatra
- I will always love you – Whitney Houston
- Simply the best – Tina Turner
- You raise me up – Josh Groban
- Bridge over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
- Ave Maria – Mario Lanza
Does the list contain any surprises? And what would you choose at your funeral?
We find the list interesting because it perhaps reflects the tastes of a generation that grew up in the 1950s. But we wonder what songs millennials will chose for their funerals. Taylor Swift, or Lady Gaga?
Further information about the types of funerals we deliver at Mortons can be found